We have therapists who work well with teens and their families and enjoy helping them through this exciting and challenging time of life. We focus on relationships and attachment in our clinic because we know what an important and lasting positive impact heathy and secure attachments with family and friends have. We work with teens as well as the parents to help get the most improvement.
However, teens are gaining their independence in these years and have a higher need for privacy in counseling. Therefore there will be plenty of one on one time for the teens in the sessions, and parents will be included either in a family session, or a separate session, depending which is most beneficial for the family .
Parents are always welcome and encouraged to have their own sessions to learn how they can help support their child or improve their relationship.
Issues we help teens with include::
- Anxiety and depression symptoms
- Social stress and anxiety
- Building social skills and maturity
- Academic stress and performance anxiety
- Difficulty managing emotions
- Low self esteem, lack of self worth
- Family stress and conflict
- Coping with divorce or other family changes
- Self harm such as cutting
- Risky behavior such as drug and alcohol use, unsafe sexual behavior etc
- Recovering from harm or trauma
- Coping with decisions and/or outcomes of teen pregnancy
- Transitioning into adulthood
Family therapy is a unique model that works with the family together in session, and different parts of the family system (parents, siblings, etc), in order to bring more cohesion and stability to a family.
There are great benefits for parents and children in family therapy. We can help you establish healthy boundaries, clear roles, and improve teamwork.
We help families learn how to create respectful relationships and close bonds. We help parents learn how to discipline in a way that teaches their children while keeping a positive connection.
Improving the structure and patterns of the family can help bring stability and comfort for everyone in the home.
Strengthening the attachment and connection can bring security and emotional health and well being for the children which will help them thrive in life into their future lives and relationships.